To provide and promote quality social welfare services aimed at alleviating poverty, reducing destitution, promoting family values and reducing juvenile delinquency.
PROGRAMMES OF THE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL WELFARE
The Department’s programmes can be divided into two, namely statutory and non-statutory services. Statutory services involve the administration of pieces of legislation and services include correctional services, adoption, foster care, anti-human trafficking and sexual and gender based violence.
The statutes governing these services are:
• Juveniles Act cap 53 of the Laws of Zambia
• Adoption Act cap 54 of the Laws of Zambia
• Probation of Offenders Act cap 93 of the Laws of Zambia
• Affiliation and Maintenance Orders Act cap 64 of the Laws of Zambia
• Anti-Human Trafficking Act 11 of 2008
• Anti-Gender Based Violence Act 1 of 2011
Non-statutory services are those that are not backed by pieces of legislation such as the Public Welfare Assistance Scheme, the Social Cash Transfer Scheme, Care for Older Persons and Places of Safety.